Permanent Immigration Services

Types of Permanent Immigration Visas

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • Federal Skilled Trade Worker Program
  • Provincial Nominee Programs
  • Refugees
  • Business Immigration
  • Family Sponsorship (Spousal, Common-Law Conjugal, Dependant Child, Parent and grand Parent Sponsorship

Federal Skilled Worker Program

Q) What is the Federal Skilled Worker Program?

A) The FSWP helps skilled workers receive permanent residency in Canada faster than usual based on their ability to positively contribute to our economy.

Q) How do I qualify for the program?

A) You are eligible for the FSWP if you have at least one year of full time qualified skilled work totalling 1,560 hours and are proficient in English or French; you will be required to take a language test. You must also have enough money to support yourself and your family in Canada, be legally permitted to work within Canada and have a valid job offer.

Q) Do I need education in my field of work?

A) Yes, you must have a Canadian Secondary or Post-Secondary certificate, diploma or degree. If you do not have this you must have a valid foreign credential and an Educational Credential Assessment from a CIC approved agency.

Q) Am I guaranteed acceptance into the FSWP?

A) Not quite, if you have all of the requirements your application will be assessed based on a Federal Skilled Worker point grid. The higher you score on the grid, the better your chances of approval into the program.

Federal Skilled Trade Worker Program

Q) Is the Skilled Trade Worker Program different from the FSWP?

A) Yes, although the requirements are similar, the trade worker program has some stricter requirements than the FSWP.

Q) What are the additional requirements?

A) You must have 2 years of full-time work experience in a skilled trade and meet the job requirements for that trade. You will also require an offer of full-time employment in that trade for one full year or a certificate of qualification in that trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.

Q) What about education and language requirements?

A) Education and language requirements are the same as those outlined in the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

Provincial Nominee Programs

Q) What is the Provincial Nominee Program?

A) The PNP allows provinces & territories to nominate people for permanent residency. People are typically nominated because they would be an asset to the labour market in that province or territory.

Q) How do I become eligible for the PNP?

A) You can enter yourself into a pool of PNP candidates for your specific province or territory or an eligible employer can nominate you. The eligibility requirements are the same as in the FSWP or the FSTWP.


Q) Who might apply for refugee status?

A) People in need of protection who are outside of Canada and their home country. Also, people who are in Canada but fear persecution and are unwilling or unable to return to their home country.

Q) How do I come to Canada as a refugee?

A) You must be sponsored by a private group or referred by the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) or another designated referral organization.

Q) Why might I be denied refugee status if I’m already in Canada?

A) You might be denied if you arrived via the Canada-United States border, in which case you can apply for refugee status in the US. You may also be denied if you are deemed a security risk or if you have previously applied and been rejected by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada.

Q) If I am already registered as a refugee in another country can I apply for refugee status in Canada?

A) No, if you are already recognized as a refugee by another country to which you can return you will be denied refugee status within Canada.

Business Immigration

Q) What is the start-up Visa program?

A) The start-up Visa program targets people who have entrepreneurial skills that will help them start an innovative business in Canada that will create additional jobs for Canadians. Once you receive support for your business idea from a designated organization you may be able to immigrate to Canada.

Q) Can I apply for immigration to be self-employed in Canada?

A) Yes, there is an immigration program for people who are able & intend to be self-employed in Canada. You must have relevant experience in cultural activities/athletics, or experience in managing a farm.

Family Sponsorship

Q) What is family sponsorship?

A) Citizens & permanent residents of Canada who are over 18 can sponsor relatives to come to Canada and apply for permanent residency.

Q) Who is eligible to be sponsored by a family member?

A) Spouses, partners, children, parents, grandparents, adopted children and certain other relatives can be sponsored.

Q) Am I eligible to sponsor a family member?

A) You are eligible if you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is at least 18 years old, living within Canada and have enough income to support yourself and your sponsored family member(s).

Q) Why might I be ineligible to sponsor a family member?

A) There are a variety of reasons why someone might be deemed ineligible to sponsor a family member; you can read more here.